The PA Turnpike Commission will implement a new Special Hauling Permit System for Overweight/Over-dimensional vehicles at Cashless Tolling Locations.
The special hauling permit office released the following letter:
On Dec. 18, 2019, the PA Turnpike Commission approved a new permit fee structure at cashless tolling points only across our system for overweight/over-dimensional vehicles. Beginning Jan. 5, these vehicles must apply for a Special Hauling Permit and pay a $37 flat fee along with an additional 24 cent-per-ton-mile fee on all weight in excess of 80,000 pounds. Those cashless tolling locations are:
- Gateway Toll Plaza Milepost 2, I-76 (near Ohio line);
- Beaver Valley Expressway (PA Turnpike 376);
- Findlay Connector (PA Turnpike 576);
- Greensburg Bypass/AKH (PA Turnpike 66); and
- Delaware River Bridge Toll Plaza, Milepost 42.6, I-95 (near NJ line);
- Keyser Avenue and Clarks Summit Toll Plazas, Mileposts 122 and 131, (I-476 near Scranton).
Changes for Overweight/Over-dimensional customers at cashless tolling locations only include:
- All customers applying for a Special Hauling Permit for Overweight/Over-dimensional vehicles must pay a new permit fee online using a credit card or ACH when the application is submitted. There will be no print function for approved permits until payment is made.
- All customers must print and carry a hard copy of the approved permit.
- Tolls will be assessed electronically as customers travel the cashless tolling system. There is no need to stop to process permits or pay tolls at cashless tolling locations.
- Tolls will be charged to your E-ZPass account; if you do not have E-ZPass, an invoice will be mailed to the registered owner of the vehicle through the PA Turnpike TOLL BY PLATE system.
- All customers must apply for a permit within two weeks of the anticipated travel day.
While the permit fees for overweight and over-dimensional haulers at cashless tolling locations are new, the toll rates have been adjusted so that the overall trip costs are comparable to those of existing Class-9 toll rates.
The PA Turnpike’s standard permit requirements — weight, width, length, height, etc. — remain in effect for these new Special Hauling Permit procedures at cashless tolling locations. Visit https://www.paturnpike.com/commercial/permit_info.aspx to learn more. Or call 1-800-331-3414 (8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday to Friday).